Good soup. I would suggest simmering the soup longer, maybe an hour on low to help really bring out the blend of flavors. Sometimes I like to modify recipes and the next time I make it I'm going to add cooked ground beef and stewed tomatoes. Let me know what you add!
Author: Myra Leonard
- 3 (14½ oz.) cans Vegetable Broth (or make your own from cubes)
- ½ t dried basil leaves
- 2 c shredded cabbage
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in half length wise and sliced
- 2 c green beans, 2 " long
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- ¼ c uncooked regular long grain rice (or use a small box of Uncle Ben's Seasoned long grain rice for added flavor)
- In a large soup kettle, mix everything except rice.
- Over medium heat, bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 20 minutes or until rice is done.
Laurel Burger wrote to me and said she likes to add frozen peas, lima beans, fresh turnips, crushed tomatoes, and creamed corn to her vegetable soup. She also uses barley and pastina instead of the rice. Sounds great - Thanks for the suggestions Laurel!