Open-Face Garden and Orchard Sandwich
This recipe won first place in the broccoli/cabbage/cauliflower category of the Simply Delicious, Simply Nutritious Pennsylvania Vegetable Recipe Contest. It is also one of the recipes listed in the "Settings" cookbook that you can purchase at the farm.
- ¼ Red Delicious Apple, thinly sliced
- 1 slice Whole Wheat Bread
- ½ T Butter
- ⅓ c Broccoli
- 1 Mushroom, sliced
- 1 T Chopped Onion
- 2 T Golden Raisins
- 1 T Chopped Walnuts
- 1½ T Mayonnaise or Thousand Island Dressing
- 1 ounce Pepper Jack Cheese, sliced
- Arrange the unpeeled apple slices on the bread.
- Melt butter in a small skillet. Add the broccoli, mushroom, onion, raisins, and walnuts. Sauté until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Stir in the mayonnaise.
- Spoon over the apple.
- Top with the cheese.
- Place on a baking sheet and broil about six inches from the heat for one minute or until the cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.