Country Pear Cobbler
Author: C. Brown
- ¾ c firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 T all-purpose flour
- ⅛ t salt
- ⅛ t ground nutmeg
- dash of cloves
- 2 T lemon juice
- 6 to 8 medium pears, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 2 T sugar
- 1 t baking powder
- ½ t baking soda
- ½ c buttermilk
- 3 T margarine or butter, melted
- 1 T sugar
- light cream, if desired
- Combine all of the filling ingredients, except pears, in a large skillet.
- Stir in sliced pears and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until hot and bubbly, stirring gently.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make topping, place flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a mixing bowl.
- Beat on low speed of electric mixer for about 30 seconds.
- Add buttermilk and melted margarine.
- Continue to mix on low speed about 30 seconds, or until just blended.
- Pour hot filling into an 8 inch baking pan.
- Top evenly with large spoonfuls of topping. Sprinkle with 1 T sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes, or until pears are tender and bubbly and topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm with light cream if desired.