Chicken and Potato Soup
This recipe is from one of our long-time employees here at the farm.
Author: Lucy Micsky
- 2½ quarts chicken stock
- 3 c dry white wine
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1½ t Worcestershire sauce
- 2 t dried basil, or 1 c fresh basil
- 3 medium potatoes, scrubbed, peeled, and cut into ½ in dice
- 1-2 c peeled, seeded, and diced butternut squash
- 1 T butter
- 1 T corn oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 fresh tomato, chopped and seeded if desired
- ½ lb fresh green beans, cut into pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 T garlic oil or minced garlic
- 1¼ to 2 c cooked chicken
- In a heavy soup pot, combine the chicken stock and wine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer.
- Whisk in tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add basil and potatoes.
- Cover and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Uncover, and add butternut squash.
- Meanwhile, in a 9 in skillet, heat the butter and oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté 3-4 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and stir fry 1 minute.
- Add tomato and toss vegetables until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.
- Place vegetables into stock mixture.
- De-glaze the skillet with a bit of the stock and add the skillet contents to the soup pot.
- Continue to simmer, covered, for 5 more minutes.
- Add green beans and cover again.
- Add basil, salt, pepper, garlic, and chicken.
- Continue cooking until squash and beans are tender, about 5 minutes, and it's ready to serve!