Baked Spaghetti Squash
This recipe originally called for 12 oz of cooked spaghetti. We made it with spaghetti squash and spaghetti and really enjoyed it both ways!
Author: Paulus Family
- 1 lb ground beef
- ¼ c chopped onion
- 1 c chopped green pepper
- ½ c chopped celery
- 1 T margarine or oil
- 28 oz can tomatoes
- 4 oz can mushrooms
- 2-1/4 oz can drained, sliced olives (optional)
- Italian Seasoning to taste
- Spaghetti Squash or 12 oz of spaghetti
- 10-1/2 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- ¼ c water
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ c Parmesan cheese
- Cook spaghetti squash ahead. To cook you can cut it in half, scrape out the seeds and pulp, and then bake rind side up for 30 to 40 minutes at 375 degrees. Separate strands by running a fork through. If you prefer, you can cook it whole (it's pretty hard to cut in half prior to cooking). To cook it whole: pierce the squash several times with a sharp knife and bake for one hour at 375 degrees or put it in your crock pot with a cup of water and let it go all day (8 to 10 hours) on low.
- If not using squash, cook and drain spaghetti.
- Sauté ground beef, onion, green pepper, celery, and margarine or oil until beef is brown.
- Add can of tomatoes (with liquid), mushrooms, olives, and Italian seasoning and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In small bowl, mix soup and water. Set aside.
- Place half of the spaghetti or squash in greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Top with half of the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with 1 c cheddar cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Pour soup over casserole and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered at 325 degrees until bubbly, approximately 45 minutes.