I have to be honest, the biggest reason I am adding this recipe is because my family loves it and I can never seem to find it. So now I know where to look! We mainly have this at Thanksgiving and Christmas but it's good any time of year! It was Nan's recipe (Dan's grandmother) so it is a tradition to have it at large family meals.
Author: Paulus Family
Recipe type: Side dish
- 5 large onions, cut into ¼ inch slices (I don't measure - I just cut them up!)
- 2½ c milk
- 1½ t salt
- 4 T flour
- 4 T butter
- cheese to taste (see my notes below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and cut onions and cook in boiling water until tender - about 5 minutes. Drain. Pour into greased casserole dish.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan. Add flour and salt and mix well. Whisk in milk. Add cheese and heat until thick. One time I used a bag of shredded cheddar cheese (2 c). Dan thought it was too much cheese but the rest of the family really liked it. Usually I use velveeta cheese - I add a few slices and continually whisk to make sure it doesn't burn on the bottom of the sauce pan.
- Pour cheese sauce over onions and bake uncovered for about 40 minutes.
"I tried this onion recipe for dinner when we had company, and everyone loved it!" - Jo Anne Groft