Apple Cider Stew
I found this recipe and enjoyed the twist on beef stew. It's supposed to serve 4, but I always make more - I have big eaters in my family!
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 t all-purpose flour
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t black ground pepper
- ⅛ t dried thyme
- 2 t vegetable oil
- 2½ c apple cider
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 3-5 potatoes, chopped
- 2 Fuji apples - peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 c chopped onion
- 1 c water or beef broth
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 t salt
- ¼ t dried thyme
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, and ⅛ t thyme in bowl. Toss in stew meat and coat with mixture.
- Heat 2 t oil in pot on stove and cook meat until until browned, 5-7 minutes. Add cider and simmer on medium-low heat for about an hour.
- Add carrots, potatoes, apples, onion, water (or beef broth), celery, 1 t salt, and ¼ t thyme to pot. Continue to simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. (Other optional vegetables include mushrooms or green beans)
"Really yummy!" - Olivia Kimmel