Spaghetti Squash Beef Casserole
Author: Paulus Family
- 1 small spaghetti squash
- ½ c water
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ c chopped onion
- ½ c chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ c chopped green bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with liquid
- ½ t oregano
- ¼ t salt
- ⅛ t pepper
- 2½ c shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- Place squash, cut side down, in a baking dish. Cover and bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes or until tender and easily pierced with a fork.
- When cool enough to handle, scoop out squash, separating strands with a fork.
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, red and green pepper, and garlic until meat is browned and vegetables are tender. Drain off fat.
- Add tomatoes, oregano, salt, pepper, and squash to skillet. Continue to cook and stir for about 2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer mixture to a 1½ quart ungreased casserole. Stir in 1½ c shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1 c cheese and cook for 5 minutes longer, or until cheese is melted.
"This recipe is a staple in our house. Instead of using ground beef, we use an Italian style ground turkey and it is delicious." - Heather Fenicle