Butternut Cream Pie
Author: Paulus Family
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- ¼ c hot water
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- ¼ c sugar
- 2 T caramel ice cream topping
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- ½ t salt
- ½ t ground ginger
- ¼ t ground cloves
- 1 package (5.1 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- ¾ c plus 2 T milk
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- whipped cream and toasted flaked coconut (optional)
- Cut squash in half and discard seeds.
- Place squash cut side down in a microwave safe dish and add hot water.
- Cover and microwave for 13-15 minutes, or until tender.
- When cool enough to handle, scoop out pulp and mash.
- Set aside 1½ c (save remaining squash for another use).
- In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Stir in the squash until blended.
- Add sugar, caramel topping, and spices; beat until blended.
- Add pudding mix and milk; beat on low speed for 2 minutes.
- Spoon into pastry shell.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Garnish with whipped cream and coconut if desired.